Since deciding to have double paneled doors it seems that I have been fighting the two stiles that I made. The cherry decided to split after completing the grooves. In an act of defiance I used them anyway and moved on. Nothing fancy about the panels just planed down the sides to fit the grooves and put them all together. The center stile was no problem and I’ll use it in other projects since it seems to really add to the appearance.
With all of my stock dimensioned, the first step is plowing the grooves for the panels. As I have shown in the past I used a clamp to steady each board and used a Veritas plow plane to make the grooves. It only took a couple of hours to get them all done and I had very little trouble. I do like the upgraded plow plane and if you haven’t let Veritas make the change I’d go ahead. Although I had little trouble with loosening set, it’s nice to have some extremely reassurance.
After a couple of days with intermittent rain I noticed a little twist in a couple of the rails so I did my best to plane them straight. That’s one of the problems of spreading your project out over many weeks. The doors are held together with mortise and tenon joints and thanks to previous practice on the back my process has improved.
For little extra to the doors I added a stile in the center so tehe doors have divided panels.
Long weekends are made for woodworking projects, there’s time for the family, kayaking and woodwork. Beginning work on the cabinet doors brought to mind the need to carefully dimension all of the parts, removing any twist. Hand planing one side and both edges I turned to the planer to make sure everything is parallel and consistent. Then a final hand planing to remove any machine marks and eliminate as much sanding as possible.
After posting about the mortise jig there were a couple of great comments. In particular the caution about ensuring that the jig is square to the board being mortised. This can be a frequent problem if your vise does not close evenly.
In the comments Matt quickly pointed out the potential problem. Here’s a solution I tried over the weekend that worked extremely well. The picture shows the clamps used in my moxon vise, but I also put it to work in my regular vise.
Along with this solution I also will take a close look at my bench vise and see if I can make some adjustments.
Thanks for all the comments!
With my mortise jig complete, the process of measuring and marking begins. I’ve repeated enough steps on this project and take extra care to make sure everything goes right the first time. The first time of course did not include the two additional mortises and tenons I chopped because I put two in the wrong spot. The extra cross member didn’t hurt though and everything went well.
The care certainly paid off and everything fits snugly.
I still have to plane the carcass sides and tidy up before attaching the back. Hope everyone had a good Father’s Day.
One of the techniques that I learned a Paul Sellers 9day foundation class was the construction and use of a mortise jig. I don’t always use them these days, but occasionally I find them helpful. After my latest experience with making mortise and tenon joints it seemed prudent to take my time and make a new jig.
ITs really a sinple process and involves selecting a small piece of scrap to act as the back and then planing a seconpiece the correct thickness to act as a guide for the chisel. Once glued together and clamped (I sued my bench clamp) it acts as a great guide. I must have 6 or seven guides now of varying thickness.